Things to do in Keswick When It’s Raining
Things to do in Keswick When It’s Raining
The weather in the Lake District is notoriously unreliable, but around this time of year you can guarantee that it will definitely chuck it down at some point, so it’s always a good idea to have a Plan B up your sleeve in case of a sudden downpour! Even when the weather isn’t cooperating, there’s plenty of things to see and do in Keswick that you can do indoors. Read on for our suggestions.
What better way to spend a rainy day than stocking up on snacks and watching a film? Keswick Alhambra cinema is an old-school theatre style picture house, which offers mainstream movies and independent film screenings, as well as live-streamed theatre, opera, ballet and musical productions, so there’s bound to be something great on when you visit. Visit the Keswick Alhambra website to view showtimes and see what’s on: https://www.keswickalhambra.co.uk
Derwent Pencil Museum
Did you know that Keswick is the home of the first pencil? The Derwent Pencil Museum takes you on a journey through a replica graphite mine - discover how pencils were used in WW2 to hide secret maps, and marvel at one of the largest colour pencils in the world, measuring almost 8 metres. The Derwent Pencil Museum is a fun attraction for all the family, with a quiz to take part in as you make your way through the museum, frequent art workshops, a fine art gift shop, and an artisan cafe where you can relax with a drink and slice of cake while the kids enjoy colouring in with their world-famous Derwent pencils.
Theatre By The Lake
Just a short walk from Derwentwater, the Theatre by the Lake presents up to nine of their own productions of classic and modern plays each year. With a 400 seat main house and 100 seat studio, Theatre by the Lake also hosts visiting theatre companies and festivals throughout the year. The theatre has an upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast which is set to be fantastic - for more information about productions and showtimes, or to book tickets, visit the website.
For a really fun day out for all the family, visit Puzzling Place, a unique attraction where you can step into an optical illusion through the World of Illusions. You won’t believe your eyes when you enter the “Anti-Gravity” room, where everything might seem a little off-kilter; the Forced Perspective Room lets you walk into an incredible illusion where people seem to grow and shrink as they walk around the room. At the end of the optical illusion exhibit, there’s a shop full of fun games and puzzles, providing even more entertainment for a rainy day.
If you’d like to learn more about the local area, the Keswick Museum is a great place to start. The Keswick Museum features a fantastic local history collection, going back as far as Roman times, as well as unique and interesting exhibits such as a man trap, a set of musical stones, and even a 700 year old mummified cat! Keswick Museum has won awards such as Museum of the Year in the 2015 Cumbria Life Culture Awards, and Best Small Visitor Attraction in the 2015 Cumbria Tourism Awards. As well as the exhibits and art collections, the museum also holds family activities, guided tours, events and talks.
Go on an adventure into the heart of a Lake District mountain when you visit Honister Slate Mine. Less than half an hour’s drive from Keswick, Honister Mine gives you the opportunity to see just what goes on in a slate mine, with their underground mine tours and adrenaline-pumping “Climb the Mine” experience, where you’ll tackle vertical climbs, rope bridges and ladders to explore the hidden passages and caverns where Honister slate was once extracted by miners. One way of escaping the rain is going underground!
Keswick Brewing Company
If you like your craft beers, you should make visiting Keswick Brewing Company a priority. Keswick Brewery hosts a gift shop full of bottled beers, mini casks, clothing, a bar (of course), and also offers guided tours of the brewery. Find out why Keswick Brewing Company uses sheeps wool when making their beer, what exactly goes into the brewing process, and finish the tour off by sampling a few of the delicious beers on offer.
Explore Keswick’s cafés, shops, pubs, and restaurants
Another great way to spend a rainy day in Keswick is exploring our town centre, where we have a wealth of quirky cafés and shops, cosy pubs, and restaurants of all cuisines. At this time of year, Keswick is a fantastic place to do a spot of Christmas gift shopping, with a range of independent shops offering local produce, clothing, gifts, jewellery, toys, food and drink, and much more. There are tons of cafés and restaurants to explore, with everything from bakeries and delis, to burger parlours and restaurants offering food from Italy, Thailand, Mexico and more. Put your feet up at the end of a long day in one of Keswick’s many pubs, where you can enjoy a local pint and classic pub food from beside a roaring fire.
You can explore the many culinary options available in Keswick by visiting our website: visitkeswick.com/what-to-do/food.
We hope that this blog post has given you some ideas on what Keswick has to offer during the occasional spell of bad weather! For more information about Keswick and things to do in the local area, visit visitkeswick.com.
Subscribe to our blog to get it directly to your in box
Read our other Visit Keswick blog posts
- According To Kids: How To Spend A Day In Keswick
- 7 Farms In Keswick Where You Can Stay
- 5 Beautiful Leap Year Locations to Propose in Keswick
- 7 Things to do this half term in and around Keswick
- Our Guide to Spring 2020 in Keswick
- Keswick Festivals In 2020
- How To Spend 48 Hours in Keswick
- 6 Villages Around Keswick and What To Do When You Visit
- 24 Reasons To Visit Keswick In December
- A Guide To Winter In Keswick
- The Best Shops In Keswick Where You Can Buy Online
- Accessible Trips To Keswick
- A Guide To Autumn In Keswick
- Our 5 Favourite Pubs & Bars In Keswick
- Keswick School of Industrial Arts
- The 6 Shops In Keswick You Absolutely Have To Visit
- How To Have a Sustainable Holiday in Keswick
- 8 Things To Do In Keswick If You Don’t Like The Great Outdoors
- Some Of Our Favourite Independent Shops, Cafes, And Restaurants In Keswick
- According To Locals: The Best Places To Visit In Keswick
- Keswick’s Parks: Where To Go And What To Do
- A Guide To Summer In Keswick
- 10 Fantastic Places To Eat in Keswick
- Our Guide To Fell Walking: How To Stay Safe On The Fells
- Visit Whinlatter Forest
- 5 Fun Days Out For Families Around Keswick
- Adventurous Days Out in Keswick
- How the Lake District Inspired These 7 Famous People
- Holidaying to Keswick: Everything You Need To Bring
- How To Get Around The Lakes From Keswick
- Where to Spot Lake District Wildlife
- The History of Keswick
- Things to do in Keswick When It’s Raining
- Visit Derwentwater
- Autumn colours in Borrowdale
- Castlehead Walk
- Tour of Britain 2018
- Freedom Wizard
- Local Heroes: Adam Campion, Run Director at Parkrun
- Local Heroes: Yvonne Booth 10 in 10 challenge