Latrigg from Keswick Walking Route
Latrigg is Keswick's own fell and one for the 'must-do' list for your visit to Keswick. The views from the summit over Keswick town, Derwentwater and the surrounding fells are breath-taking and really help you to orientate yourself. The often followed circular route combining an ascent of Latrigg with the railway path is currently not possible due to bridges still being down so this route takes you up and down Spooney Green Lane from Keswick with a circular route round the summit.
If you can't make it all the way up from Keswick there is a small car park at Gale Road above Applethwaite with a Limited Mobility Path to the viewpoint.
Starting point - Moot Hall, Keswick
Distance - 3 miles
Time - 2 to 2.5 hours
1. Leave the Market Square between the Royal Oak & Greggs. Turn left into Station St. Go straight across the junction via the pedestrian crossing. Cross the bridge over the river Greta and immediately take the steps on your left down into Fitz Park.
2. Follow the path beside the river and take your first right. At the opposite corner of the park from which you entered follow the path uphill & past the BMX track. In 300m leave the path by a gate on your right and turn right into a metalled road.
3. After 200m turn left up Spooney Green Lane, a public bridleway signposted Skiddaw. The path takes you across the bridge over the A66. Go through a gate and continue up the same path ignoring turnings to your right.
4. The path rises more steeply now for 500 metres. This is the steepest part of the walk. The climb soon becomes less steep and the views open out to your left providing some good photo opportunities.Keep to the same path ignoring turnings to your right.
5. Cross 2 streams and go through a gate. Keep to the same path passing a tree plantation on your left with views over to the mighty Skiddaw. Ignore a path to your right signposted Latrigg summit 3/4 mile , this is the way you will come back down. For now keep straight ahead and follow the path as it zigzags up to the car park.
6. Go through the gate at the top of the car park and immediately turn right through a second gate signposted Limited Mobility Path Latrigg Viewpoint. As this path bends to the right fork left up the gravelly path which soon becomes grass. As you climb the mountains gradually start to be revealed until the breath-taking panorama of Derwentwater appears before you. Carry on straight up to the summit.
7. As you meet a path at the top turn right and follow the path down to a bench where a fantastic photo opportunity over Keswick, Derwentwater and the surrounding mountains awaits. Although a great vantage spot it is not always the best spot for a picnic as it can be quite windy. Follow the path downhill until you come to a fork and take the left one. (The right hand fork is the limited mobility path from the car park.) Follow the path as it zigzags its way down taking care as this part can often be muddy.
8. Turn left to re-join the path you ascended earlier past the tree plantation. Retrace your steps keeping to the same path you came up all the way back down to the road. Turn right and then left back into Fitz Park. Cross the park as you did earlier back to Keswick Town Centre.