Threlkeld Circular Walk
A circular walk from the village of Threlkeld near Keswick taking you over the fields to Wescoe with fine views of Blencathra, Clough Head and Latrigg. It then heads downhill before climbing up to the Blencathra Centre and back to the village via Blease Gill.
- Distance - just under 4 miles
- Time - 2 hours
- Starting point - Blease Road Car Park Threlkeld
- Public Transport - X4/X5 bus to Threlkeld village, walk up Blease road and take the footpath to the left just after the school signposted Wescoe
- Notes - There are a number of stiles in the first section between Threlkeld and Wescoe
- Feedback - Please contact Keswick Tourism Association email [email protected]
1. Leave the car park and turn left down the road. After 200m turn right onto a path signposted Wescoe 1 mile. Walk in front of the houses, through a gate and continue through the field. As you approach two gates at the end of the field go through the left one and continue forwards with the wall on your right. Continue through a kissing gate and keep forward to go over stone steps over the wall. Continue over the slightly undulating field to go through a gate or over a ladder stile. The track heads across the field to the right of a large tree and fords a stream before going over stone steps over the wall. Cross the field and go through a gate. Follow the path passing to the right of a house at Ings. Go through a gate or over a ladder stile. Go into the next field via stone steps over the wall and continue over another stone stile. Pass a house on your left and then go through a gate. Cross the field and go through a kissing gate onto a lane.
2. Turn right into the hamlet of Wescoe and then immediately left downhill. (Ignore the road ahead closed signs as this is further on than our route). As you descend Latrigg is in front of you. Go down the hill. At the bottom the road goes over a stone bridge over the Glenderaterra Beck and then bends to the right soon heading uphill. Pass a house on your left and keep on up the road. Pass a house on your left then 200m beyond the house turn right onto a path signposted Derwent Folds. The path drops down to a stream. Go over the wooden bridge and up the path. Go through a gate and continue upwards.
3. To the side of a house at Derwent Folds go through a gate and turn right and walk up the lane. At the brow of the hill turn left over a wooden stile signposted Blencathra Centre ¼ mile. Head up the field and go through a small gate with a yellow waymarker on it. The path heads up over a stream and up wooden steps, through a kissing gate and a waymarked gate and into the grounds of the Blencathra Centre. As the path forks take the left path and follow it between the buildings. Shortly turn left as indicated by a public footpath sign.
4. Go through a gate and turn right onto the road. Shortly you will pass a house on the right. 100m after this turn left off the road and go through a gate. Go through a 2nd gate and continue alongside a wall. Go through a further 3 gates. The path continues alongside a garden. Beyond this follow the waymarker arrow to cross the ghyll. Once over the bridge continue up stone steps through a gate and follow the path above Blease Barn. Head over the field and cross the ghyll, then turn right and head downhill. Go down the steps and over a bridge back over the ghyll taking particular care if the steps are muddy or icy. Follow the path back down to the car park.
Have you found this walking route useful and would like to make a donation? All our walks are provided free of charge to download but you might consider donating a small one-off amount to help with the running costs and upgrades to our website. This website is run by Keswick Tourism Association, a not for profit trade organisation, which is funded almost totally by its members.