Skiddaw via Jenkin Hill
Start - Moot Hall Keswick
Distance - 10 miles
Time - 5 - 6 hours
1. Leave the Market Square between the Royal Oak & Greggs. Turn left into Station St. Go straight across the junction via the pedestrian crossing. Cross the bridge over the river Greta and immediately take the steps on your left down into Fitz Park.
2. Follow the path beside the river and take your first right. At the opposite corner of the park from which you entered follow the path uphill & past the BMX track. In 300m leave the path by a gate on your right and turn right into a metalled road.
3. After 200m turn left up Spooney Green Lane, a public bridleway signposted Skiddaw. The path takes you across the bridge over the A66. Go through a gate and continue up the same path ignoring turnings to your right.
4. The path rises more steeply now for 500 metres. Keep to the same path ignoring turnings to your right.
5. Cross 2 streams and go through a gate. Keep to the same path passing a tree plantation on your left with views over to the mighty Skiddaw. Ignore a path to your right signposted Latrigg summit 3/4 mile. Keep straight ahead and follow the path as it zigzags up to Latrigg car park.
6. Follow the fenced bridleway to a fork. Take the left branch and climb the steep fellside towards Jenkin Hill.
7. At the gate pass through it and follow the bridleway to another gate and up to a final climb onto the summit ridge. Follow the path to Skiddaw's summit.
8. To descend head along the summit ridge and descend to a fence and gate. Continue around the flank of Little Man to another gate and follow the bridleway onto the intake wall. Join the fanced bridleway and follow it back to the car park. Retrace your steps back to Keswick.