In our new blog series we give some suggested itineraries for things to do in the local area. This week we are focusing on a weekend out in Borrowdale.
There is accommodation to suit all budgets and desires, from simple campsites to 4* hotels. Here is our pick of our favourites.
Inside Out Camping - Luxury yurts based at Seatoller farm
Borrowdale Gates Hotel - 4* country house hotel set in beautiful surrounds
Royal Oak - a charming hotel in a 300 year old building in Rosthwaite
Lots of beautiful cottages - see our website to find yours
This is a great day to explore the hidden treasures around the valley. It can be done in any order depending on your interests and where you are staying.
Explore Castle Crag - take a walk up the smallest Wainwright. Popular routes are from Seatoller or Rosthwaite
- Rosthwaite Circular Walk and Millican Dalton's Cave - this route starts from Rosthwaite and gives you the option to take in Millican Dalton's cave
- Castle Crag from Seatoller - this route starts from Seatoller and takes you along a scenic terrace on the way to Castle Crag
- Rosthwaite, Watendlath and Grange Circular Route - for a longer walk from Rosthwaite, this takes in the isolated hanging valley of Watendlath
- The Bowder Stone - when you're passing, it's definitely worth taking a quick detour to see the Bowder Stone, one of the most famous rocks in the Lake District
Evening meal - you're spoilt for choice in the valley
- Lake View Restaurant, Lodore Falls Hotel - 2 AA rosette restaurant with delicious local food
- Mizu Pan Asian Cuisine - also based at the Lodore Falls Hotel, you can enjoy the award-winning food on their riverside terrace or cocktail bar
- The Borrowdale Hotel Restaurant - famous for silver service and Sunday lunch, this restaurant has a walk-in wine cellar and welcomes dogs and walkers.
Start your lazy Sunday by walking down the tranquil Langstrath Valley - a great way to feel like you are in the high fells, without having to hike up a big hill.
Have lunch in one of the cafes in the valley. Then spend the afternoon at The Falls Spa - with their open-air pool with unrivaled views, to their treatments, saunas, steam rooms, and Champagne bar, you're sure to leave your weekend in Borrowdale feeling relaxed and revitalised.
We hope this has given you some ideas for some days out in Borrowdale.
If you would like more inspiration, check out our itineraries page.