7 Things To Do In And Around Keswick This Half Term
You'll find lots to do in and around Keswick this October half term. Here are some of our ideas to inspire your holiday adventures.
Try out the new Shaun the Sheep Farmageddon Glow Trail - a new trail at Whinlatter Forest celebrates the release of the Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon. An alien space ship has crashed into Whinlatter Forest and Shaun the Sheep is on a mission to help the inhabitant – a lovable alien called Lu-La. Download the app to complete challenges and solve UV puzzles in the forest.
Up at Whinlatter Forest, you can also enjoy marked walking, running and cycling trails and the outdoor play area. You can hire a bike there from Cyclewise or for those over the age of ten there's a treetop adventure called Go Ape, a high-level journey along bridges, tarzan swings and zip slides up to 40 feet in the trees.
Play in the Park - Visit Fitz Park with its excellent playground and BMX track and Hope Park for pitch & putt, crazy golf and remote-controlled boats. Just next to Hope Park, Crow Park is a wide expanse of grass on the shores of Derwentwater perfect for running about and burning off some energy. At nearby Whinlatter Forest there is a wonderful adventure playground laid out as a forest trail. More info.
Join a Guided Walk - Stunning autumn colours on this easy, family guided walk on 21st October through Great Wood to Ashness Bridge and the lake shore with the Lake District National Park and the National Trust. The walk is followed by a short stop for tea and a talk at Barrow House.
If you can't make that date why not have a look at our family walking page for some inspiration for your own day out. Go on an quest to find Millican Dalton's cave or climb up Latrigg for a bird's eye view over Keswick.
Enjoy the Great Indoors - we've lots going on indoors as well as out. Drop into the Keswick YHA to make your own conker hedgehog and autumn leaf people. Listen to a story in the Bairden at Theatre by the Lake - teddies welcome too. Visit the Dive into Derwentwater exhibition at Keswick Museum with lots of hands-on activities. Join in one of the workshops at Rheged including Build your own Mythical Dragon or Spectacular Spells and Wizarding Wands. Why not have a half-term treat visiting the Keswick Alhambra Cinema - choose between 'Abominable', 'The Adams Family' and 'The Greatest Showman Singalong' and more...
Join in a Halloween Activity - Trick or treat your little monsters this Halloween at the fangtastic party with entertainment, fun, games and prizes at LB’s Pizza House of Terrors. Follow the lady on a Keswick Ghost Walk ...if you dare. Drop into the Keswick YHA for halloween pumpkin printing and yarn mummies. There's lots of spooky goings-on over at Rheged with a Spooky Slime Workshop, Pumpkin Carving, Spooky Computer Game design and a Halloween Disco. Whilst up at Whinlatter Forest Spook-O is back for 2019, Are you brave enough to take on this spooky night time trail? You never know what’s around the corner…More info.
Burn off some energy at
Visit the National Trust's Wordsworth House in nearby Cockermouth. Dress up, play with traditional toys and games, write with a quill and ink, follow the ‘Let’s count like a Cumbrian trail’ and get hands-on in the cosy working kitchen. If the sun is out, head out into William’s inspiring childhood garden for more clues and games, to meet the friendly mini-flock of heritage chickens and let off some steam. Activities run from Saturday 19 October to Sunday 3 November and are free with admission to the house and garden. More info.
For more ideas check out our Half Term Page.
Subscribe to our Visit Keswick Blog to get it directly into your in box.
Read our other blog posts
- 7 Things to do this half term in and around Keswick
- Accessible Trips To Keswick
- A Guide To Autumn In Keswick
- Our 5 Favourite Pubs & Bars In Keswick
- Keswick School of Industrial Arts
- The 6 Shops In Keswick You Absolutely Have To Visit
- How To Have a Sustainable Holiday in Keswick
- 8 Things To Do In Keswick If You Don’t Like The Great Outdoors
- Some Of Our Favourite Independent Shops, Cafes, And Restaurants In Keswick
- According To Locals: The Best Places To Visit In Keswick
- Keswick’s Parks: Where To Go And What To Do
- A Guide To Summer In Keswick
- 10 Fantastic Places To Eat in Keswick
- Our Guide To Fell Walking: How To Stay Safe On The Fells
- Visit Whinlatter Forest
- Things to Do This Easter in and Around Keswick
- 5 Fun Days Out For Families Around Keswick
- Adventurous Days Out in Keswick
- Things to do this February Half Term
- How the Lake District Inspired These 7 Famous People
- Holidaying to Keswick: Everything You Need To Bring
- How To Get Around The Lakes From Keswick
- Keswick Festivals In 2019
- Where to Spot Lake District Wildlife
- The History of Keswick
- Festive Things To Do In Keswick This December
- Things to do in Keswick When It’s Raining
- Visit Derwentwater
- Autumn colours in Borrowdale
- Castlehead Walk
- Tour of Britain 2018
- Freedom Wizard
- Local Heroes: Adam Campion, Run Director at Parkrun
- Local Heroes: Yvonne Booth 10 in 10 challenge