A Day Out In Borrowdale
I had been watching the weather forecast avidly for a week. Could it really be 22 degrees and sunny in the middle of October? The day came at last and sure enough the skies were blue and by good fortune my day off had coincided with it. It was an early start off to Borrowdale to check out a walk for the Visit Keswick website.
We parked up in Rosthwaite and set off up and over Puddingstone Bank to Watendlath Tarn. I always like to get the hilly bit out of the way at the start of the day when it's cooler and be able to take it easier later in the walk.
It was shady over the tarn so the best shots were to be had where you could capture a small section of the tarn along with the stunning autumn colours. Leaving the tarn behind we headed along the side of Watendlath Beck.
It usually takes a couple of times of walking a route before it is ready for the website. The first time is just to work out the best route and if the weather is good to take some photos. Once the route has been established then I track the route using the mobile and take notes. I did try a note taking app but it seems to come out as complete nonsense so I've had to revert back to trusty old pen and paper. Maybe it's the wind as the apps seem to work quite well indoors.
A quick stop for lunch by Chinese bridge. I would have loved to have stopped longer but we were on a tight timescale.
On our way again along the board walk with superb views over Derwentwater towards Skiddaw.
As we made our way back to Rosthwaite along the banks of the River Derwent the autumn colours were stunning. Summer temperatures and autumn colours - what a fantastic combination.
Subscribe to our blog to get it directly to your in box.
Read our other blog posts
- According To Kids: How To Spend A Day In Keswick
- 7 Farms In Keswick Where You Can Stay
- 5 Beautiful Leap Year Locations to Propose in Keswick
- 7 Things to do this half term in and around Keswick
- Our Guide to Spring 2020 in Keswick
- Keswick Festivals In 2020
- How To Spend 48 Hours in Keswick
- 6 Villages Around Keswick and What To Do When You Visit
- 24 Reasons To Visit Keswick In December
- A Guide To Winter In Keswick
- The Best Shops In Keswick Where You Can Buy Online
- Accessible Trips To Keswick
- A Guide To Autumn In Keswick
- Our 5 Favourite Pubs & Bars In Keswick
- Keswick School of Industrial Arts
- The 6 Shops In Keswick You Absolutely Have To Visit
- How To Have a Sustainable Holiday in Keswick
- 8 Things To Do In Keswick If You Don’t Like The Great Outdoors
- Some Of Our Favourite Independent Shops, Cafes, And Restaurants In Keswick
- According To Locals: The Best Places To Visit In Keswick
- Keswick’s Parks: Where To Go And What To Do
- A Guide To Summer In Keswick
- 10 Fantastic Places To Eat in Keswick
- Our Guide To Fell Walking: How To Stay Safe On The Fells
- Visit Whinlatter Forest
- 5 Fun Days Out For Families Around Keswick
- Adventurous Days Out in Keswick
- How the Lake District Inspired These 7 Famous People
- Holidaying to Keswick: Everything You Need To Bring
- How To Get Around The Lakes From Keswick
- Where to Spot Lake District Wildlife
- The History of Keswick
- Things to do in Keswick When It’s Raining
- Visit Derwentwater
- Autumn colours in Borrowdale
- Castlehead Walk
- Tour of Britain 2018
- Freedom Wizard
- Local Heroes: Adam Campion, Run Director at Parkrun
- Local Heroes: Yvonne Booth 10 in 10 challenge