Latrigg Circular Route from Keswick via the Railway Path
A new path linking the railway path just past Low Briery now goes through Brundholme Woods to Brundholme Road allowing walkers access up to Latrigg to complete this circular route.
Starting Point - Moot Hall Keswick
Distance - 5 miles
Time - 2.5 hours
Feedback - contact Keswick Tourism Association email email@example.com
1. Leave the Market Square between the Royal Oak & Greggs. Turn left into Station St and keep straight ahead. At the junction cross at the pedestrian crossing and go straight on. Cross the bridge over the river Greta and continue on the road between Upper and Lower Fitz Park. Just as the road bends to the right take a path on your left up to Keswick Leisure Pool. Take the path round the right hand side of the swimming pool and then turn right on to the old railway line path.
2. Follow the railway path for some distance passing a board walk section. After Low Briery Holiday Park cross the next bridge. Immediately before the next bridge take the path on your left signposted Brundhlome Road.
3. Follow this path through the wood. As the path climbs uphill take the first path to your right as indicated by a permitted route arrow on a marker post. Follow the path through the woods above the river. Once over a bridge the path climbs and drops again. Ignore a stepped path down to your right and keep on the same path. At a fork turn left and follow the path uphill. Continue on this path as it winds upwards to meet Brundholme Road.
4.Turn right onto the metalled road. Shortly leave the road by a choice of gate or stile on your left signposted Skiddaw. Ignore the immediate fork to your left and continue forwards signposted Latrigg and Skiddaw.
5. Keep on this uphill path until you come to a gate. Immediately through the gate turn left off the path to head diagonally up a grassy path. Follow this path to the summit with fantastic views over Keswick, Derwentwater and the surrounding mountains.
6. The path continues down to a bench. Although a great vantage spot it is not always the best spot for a picnic as it can be quite windy. To return to Keswick keep on the path downhill until you come to a fork and take the left one. Follow the path as it zigzags its way down taking care as this part can often be muddy.
7. At a t-junction turn left to walk downhill alongside a tree plantation. Follow the path all the way down through a gate, over 2 streams and through a second gate at Spooney Green before crossing the bridge over the A66. A short distance after this the path meets the road.
8. At the road turn right and continue for 300 metres. Turn left off the road through a gate into Fitz Park. Turn left along the path and carry on past the BMX track.
9. At the bottom of the hill turn left to walk through Fitz Park past the children's playground. Leave the park and turn right into the road and retrace your steps back into town.