Barrow Door and Newlands Valley from Braithwaite Walking Route
Distance - 5 miles Time - 3 hours
Starting point - Braithwaite village shop, car parking space at NY230236 or by bus X4 X5 Penrith to Workington
Feedback - Contact Keswick Tourism Association by email email@example.com
A walk of contrasts, starting off with a climb and excellent views towards the high fells then dropping down to return through the peaceful Newlands Valley.
1.Start at the village shop in the centre of Braithwaite. Follow the lane uphill past the shop. Keep to the lane ignoring any side paths or tracks. Shortly you will pass several detached houses on your right hand side. The lane ends at a gate and becomes a stony track.
2. Continue up the track which becomes a wide grassy path. Barrow looms up to your left and Causey Pike straight ahead. Pause to enjoy the views behind you back down to Braithwaite and towards the Skiddaw range. Presently the path becomes narrower and stony. The fell that looms above you on the right is Stile End.
3. As the path flattens out there are fine views ahead to the distinctive summit of Causey Pike. Soon you will come to the junction of paths at Barrow Door. The path up to the left is the summit of Barrow, a walk for another day. For today's route keep to the same path which bears slightly to the right round the back of Stile End. Continue along the sometimes rocky path until it comes to a t-junction then turn left down towards the Newlands Valley. Continue down the rock strewn path above Stoneycroft Gill. Catbells comes into view ahead of you. Keep to the track all the way down to the valley road.
4. On reaching the road turn left. After 300 metres turn right down a farm track. Turn left through a gate and take the path past Uzzicar Farm and low Uzzicar. Go through a gate to cross a pack horse bridge and turn left to follow the path alongside Newlands Beck.
5. Continue on the path beside the stream. You will soon come to a bench which makes a nice spot for a picnic. Continue until you pass through a gate onto a lane. Turn left over Little Braithwaite bridge and then turn right onto a path sign posted Braithwaite.
6. Go through the gate to follow the path alongside the beck again. Go through another gate and keep forward. The path crosses the stream and shortly goes through a gate into a campsite. The path passes alongside the edge of the campsite. When you reach the road turn left then left over the bridge back to the village shop.